The coaching team consists of our two head coaches and the supporting junior coaches. Our head coaches direct the junior coaches in instruction of assigned age groups. The junior coaches are active swimmers with the team. Near the end of the school year and once practice routines are established, the junior coaches are relieved of coaching duties to focus on their swimming for the rest of the season.
Coaches Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of the coaching staff are as follows:
- Assume full control of practices
- Provide positive support for the swimmers to help them improve both physically and mentally
- Assign and post list of swimmers two days before the meet
- Select and post individual stroke assignments for each swimmer
- Has authority in discipline matters at meets and practices to the extent of suspending a swimmer if necessary
- Select the year-end award winners
- Communicate with the Board on swim team matters
- Needs of swimmers for practice and meets
- Facilities and equipment needs
- Disciplinary that may require further review
In order to get the most out of each practice, it is imperative that the swimmers pay attention to the coaches and do what they are asked. If swimmers are not following instructions or are endangering the health and safety of themselves or others, the coaches will have full authority to remove the individual from the pool and/or deck. Coaches will report infraction to Brentwood Dolphin Board. The Board will review each case and notify the parent(s) directly regarding their decision.
Before and After Swim Practice
The coaches are responsible for swimmers while in the water at practices only. Therefore, the following guidelines must be followed:
- At no time shall any child that is not a swimmer be left unattended.
- Swimmers 13 and under must have a parent/guardian present during practice at all times.
- Swimmers must not be dropped off or unattended at any time. Once it is established that practice is happening, only swimmers 14 and older may be left in the care of the Head Coaches at their appointed practice time and then must be picked up immediately after practice.
Violation of these rules may cause us to lose our privileges with the city and jeopardize the use of the pool and its facility. Violators will be reported to the Board for investigation, parents will be given a warning for the first offense. The second offense may result in the removal of all family swimmers from the team.